Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Art & Fear

I'm on page 78 of 122 pages in the book "Art & Fear," by David Bayles and Ted Orland, and I am really intrigued and challenged by what I've read so far.  A veteran reader of art books (that's where I've learned probably 90% of what I know about art), I've never read a book before now that addressed the issues of self-doubt; over investment and preoccupation with talent, imagination, perfection and expectations; and understanding what it is and means to make art and how our perceptions of that can help or hinder us.  This stuff is deep. Their thoughts aren't limited to the visual arts, but also speak about music, performing arts and writing.  I can only take it in small doses of a couple pages here and there, because I have to really think about what it's saying, particularly to my own struggles as an artist, but I'm really excited to read the rest! 


No comments:

Post a Comment